PD engine family with a thrust of 9-18 tons
The main feature of PD engine family is using a compact engine core and relatively light fan with shroudless blades.
Main key technologies: hollow wide-chord titanium blades and composite fan cases, blisks in the high pressure compressor welded rotor, low-emission combustor from intermetalide alloy, high pressure turbine single-crystal blades with an advanced cooling system, ceramic coating at hot section parts, low pressure turbine hollow blades, composite nacelle.
PD engines major advantages
In-flight engine shutdown rate
A/C departure reliability rate (based on engine availability)
> 99.96 %
Low fuel consumption
Decrease of SFC vs. present-day engines
> 15...20 %
Compliance with future environmental standards
Noise reduction vs. ICAO Stage 4 requirements
> 15...20 EpNdB
NÎx emission reduction vs. ICAO 2008 requirements
> 30 %
Compliance with up-to-date certification requirements
Engine modifications being developed at present
- Advanced bypass turbofan family for short and medium haul aircraft includes the following engines PD-14, PD -14À, PD -14Ì, PD -10;
- PD -14 - baseline bypass turbofan for ÌS-21-300 aircraft;
- PD -14À - throttled modification of the bypass turbofan for ÌS-21-200 aircraft;
- PD -14Ì - augmented modification of the bypass turbofan for ÌS-21-400 and multi-purpose transport aircraft;
- PD -10 - modification with reduced thrust to 10...11 tf for SSJ‑NG aircraft.
Engine main parameters
Take-off thrust (Í = 0; Ì = 0), tf
Cruise SFC, kg/kgf·h
-(10-15) % vs. the existent modern engines of the similar thrust range and application
Fan diameter, mm
Engine dry weight, kg
Besides based on the technologies developed in the scope of PD-14 project it is planned to build industrial gas turbines for manufacturing gas pumping sets and power generating sets rated at 6, 8, 12 and 16 ÌW.
Competitive advantages in operation cost efficiency factor
are achieved by the following parametric and design features compared with similar products of competitors:
- Lower temperatures at combustor exit is an essential factor of cost reduction, risk mitigation in achieving the stated durability and reliability values of engines for aircraft with a short flight cycle.
- Reduced fan diameter allows to have objective reduction of engine weight and nacelle drag.
- Engine core of optimal size facilitates solving the problems of large compressor air bleeding for different needs and reduces thrust losses.
- Sufficiently high design pressure ratio of fan (due to a bit lower bypass ratio) excludes the necessity to use variable-geometry nozzle of outer duct connected with inevitable increase of weight and power plant drag and reduces the set thrust losses.
- Proved in operation conventional configuration of PD-14 engine without gearbox makes it possible to achieve the required weight, life, reliability and operation costs.
Optimal combination of high cycle parameters and proven engine configuration with direct fan drive makeû it possible to reduce the engine price, maintenance and overhaul costs, power plant weight and drag and to ensure PD-14 advantage for operation economic efficiency and life-cycle cost.
Cooperation at PD-14 engine designing
Head developing company: Aviadvigatel OJSC
Project scientific support: CIAM, TsAGI.
Materials developing company: VIAM.
PD-14 Project Design and Development Work Status
- The phase of engineering design was completed with positive results reports.
- Work with Ikut Corporation was started for the aircraft and engine integration.
- A large amount of testing the engine development components and systems was performed at special-purpose rigs.
- A demo engine of the baseline engine project was designed to prove PD-14 components operability.
- The first stage of the engine development tests was completed.
- The technology demo engine manufacture and tests proved the critical technologies availability.
- Nacelle components from polymer composites were tested at engine prototype.
- A cooperation for manufacturing the engine and nacelle development batch was formed.
The first start of the technology Demo Engine Core at Aviadvigatel in-door test bench (Perm, 17.12.2011)Zoom